Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Boss Day! Who's the real Boss?

Today I received numerous good wishes for “Happy Boss” Day. Ironically, I do not feel like a boss or maybe I do not like the traditional connotation. When you review the description in the dictionary it is 1) someone in charge, 2) someone dominant, or 3) a powerful politician. Being in charge is real but I do not care for the definition of someone dominant. Being a powerful politician doesn't fit and with approval ratings in the tank why would you want that to be your career.

I actually prefer to see my role as someone in charge in an opposite way. I would flip our organizational structure upside down. I serve the employees in our organization and I live in a world with many bosses that feel comfortable in telling me what is important and will make sure I keep on track. Their input and feedback are key in making SCRMC a better place to work and serve the patients and families of our communities. So “Happy Boss” Day to all of you. You are greatly appreciated.

Since I like history, Sandra Williams, SCRMC’s Director of Marketing and Community Relations sent on information regarding the history of Boss Day.

Boss’ Day is a secular holiday celebrated on October 16 in the United States, Canada and Lithuania. It has traditionally been a day for employees to thank their bosses for being kind and fair throughout the year.

Patricia Bays Haroski registered "National Boss' Day" with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1958. She was working as a secretary for State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Illinois, at the time and chose October 16, which was her father's birthday. She was working for her father at the time.

Four years later, in 1962, Illinois Governor Otto Kerner backed Haroski's registration and officially proclaimed the day.[1] Hallmark Cards did not offer a Boss' Day card for sale until 1979. It increased the size of its National Boss' Day line by 28 percent in 2007.

National Boss's Day has become an international celebration in recent years and now is observed in countries such as Australia, India, South Africa, Ireland, and Egypt.

1 comment:

  1. These kind of courses are very important to the society that we live in if these kind of courses were start before the situation was much batter

    Surgical instruments

    ReplyDelete